Thursday, January 16, 2014

Goals For 2014

As 2013 comes to an end, I'm already looking at how I can improve myself in 2014.

My Riding Life
As mentioned in my last post, 2014 will be my debut as an endurance pro racer.  To prepare for this, I have already started training with a solid base training plan.  I plan on doing a lot more core work.  To help with this, I have started doing yoga.  Not only does this help with strengthening my core, but it also helps stretch out my muscles assisting my recovery.  I have concentrated so much on the fact that I'm not naturally skinny that I forgot to account for the fact that I can gain muscle quicker.  Strong core equals strong platform to push off of which equals more power output.  As far as weight goes, I'm going to get as low as my body and mind will allow wherever that may be.

2014 is also going to be my first year of doing enduro.  I spent four years trying to get better at climbing that I neglected improving my technical skills. I'm already working hard to change that.  Not only will it help me not completely embarrass myself during enduro races, it will improve my endurance racing times as well.

Team Manager Life
Another area I really want to concentrate on improving is being a better team manager.  I've always been a "if you want something done, do it yourself" kind of guy.  This has translated to me working harder than I need to.  I plan to change that in 2014 by delegating more work to others.

Working hard in 2013 has given us a lot of great sponsors for 2014.  The team is more then just race team, we are a marketing firm.  I already have plans on how to promote them and our team.  With 23 incredible team members, it's going to be fun and easy promoting all our awesome sponsors!

Personal Life
I'm not going to be lie, I can be a little negative at times, and perhaps a bit unappreciative.  Quite frankly, I need to be a little more "zen".  It's kind of been a double-edged sword for me.  I am constantly trying to improve myself, but when improvement comes I never enjoy the moment.  I only focus on how I could have done it better.  Everyone deserves to be appreciated, and that includes appreciating myself.

Lofty Goals
Going to be a big year in 2014.  Very excited to into it with a good game plan ready.